About Me

I provide Freelance Photography and Video Services

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

A Little Paint Never Hurts


Talk about cool? This is one of my daughters friends on her birthday.  They all had a ball.  Something about face paint and someone who knows how to apply it.  If it was me doing the painting this would not look so cool.  Photographing kids can be rewarding and frustrating all at the same time.  Rewarding when you get that great capture.   I think I'm successful 95% of the time getting a great shot, it's that 5% percent that make me swear I'll never shoot another kid.  Just kidding, I really enjoy it.  Every now and then you get an uncooperative subject.  A lot of times it's the well meaning parents that stress the kids out during a portrait session and cause it not to be fun for them.  When that happens it's hard to recover and you need a little luck to come away with something good.

My tips for shooting kids is just let them be themselves and keep the camera ready to shoot.  The images look more natural when they aren't putting on the manufactured smile that often comes from a parent telling them to smile.  Also, get down  to their eye level or lower vs. standing up and aiming down at them.  Try and catch them just being kids in some kind of activity. Last thing is don't be afraid to fill the frame with a close up look.   Capturing their facial expressions make wonderful images to enlarge,  frame and hang on the wall.  That's it for today image.











No comments:

Post a Comment